Monday, December 24, 2007

Using Buses in SHS

One of the more useful recent features in Cakewalk is the use of buses. You can route all audio to as many different buses as needed before sending it to the soundcard. Again, this is very subjective, but here's how I use it.

I have three buses set up. The first is labeled Sum Bus; the outputs from all audio tracks are sent to this bus. The remaining buses are named Master Bus and Headphone Bus, and the output from these buses is assigned to the 0404's analog out (which goes to the mixer for the monitor mix) and the 0404's digital out (which goes to the UA-30 for the headphone mix), respectively. I then choose one of these two buses as the output for the Sum Bus, depending on what I need. Although this might seem a little complicated to start out with, it makes the whole monitoring situation a lot easier once you get more than one or two tracks. Plus, I've saved this whole setup as a template, which sounds like a good topic for my next post.

No comments: