Sunday, December 23, 2007

More on Drivers

In my last post on my hardware setup, I mentioned the ASIO driver. This might need some clarification.

The most basic driver - which every computer seems to have - is the MME driver. This driver is fine for just listening to music, videos, etc. The problem is that when you try using MIDI to record, you get a lot of latency, which is the difference in time between when you play a note and when you hear it. I've read different opinions, but for me, a latency greater than about 12 ms. makes it hard to play.

Next is the WDM driver. High latency isn't a problem with this driver, and I've read about lots of people being quite happy using it. Plus, you can use several audio interfaces at the same time with this driver... sometimes. Unfortunately, when I tried using the Edirol UA-30 and the E-MU0404 together with the WDM drivers, they didn't play well. The sound would drop out and I'd have to restart the computer. Frustrating.

So that left me with ASIO. The ASIO driver only works with one audio interface at a time, but has really low latency. I leave mine set at about 10 ms., which seems to be a good compromise for my somewhat average computer. With my setup, though, and my needs, I'm doing okay with only using the UA-30 for headphone monitoring.

No comments: