Sunday, February 3, 2008

Basic Recording Studio

My theory is that these days, the average consumer has access to equipment that is perfectly capable of producing CD-quality recordings. What is often lacking (in my music, for example) is the requisite knowledge and experience. If a professional recording engineer was stuck on an island with the most basic of setups, he or she could still produce a fantastic recording.

So what does it take to set up a decent workable recording studio? Here’s a list of what I think is the foundation for a perfectly good studio:

Mic (MCA SP-1)

$40


Mic Stand

$20


Mic Cord

$10


Pop Filter

Free

I used an old pair of pantyhose stretched (clean, of course) over a wire hanger.

Mixer (Soundcraft Compact 4)

$100


E-MU0404 SoundCard

$100


Misc. Cables

$100

Just a guess… I’ve built up quite the collection over the years.

Altec-Lansing Speakers

$70


SHS6XL

$210

Or $80 for the upgrade from earlier versions...

Computer

$700

Rough price for a fairly basic Dell desktop.

So let’s see… That’s a grand total of $1350, but over half of that is for a computer. If you already have a half decent computer, you’re already halfway there!

Of course, I'm also a big fan of using what you have, and slowly building up. For example, I've been using the Altec-Lansing speakers for a while now, but an upgrade to higher-quality monitors will probably be my next purchase.

For me, Sonar Home Studio provides a big part of the studio. Along with providing a sequencer and MIDI editing capabilities, many, if not all, of the necessary effects and processors are included. With SHS, I have access to reverb, eq, compressor, etc. And because it supports VST effects and instruments, I can also find a huge number of effects free on the web, some of which are quite good.

Feel free to drop me a note and let me know what you think. Am I totally wrong? Do we really need mics that cost thousands of dollars, tube compressors, etc? Or can a high-quality recording be produced on a setup as basic as that described above?

1 comment:

Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Thanks for all the info you've posted here. I first found you on the Cakewalk forums. When I came here, I bookmarked your site. I return every so often--on four different computers, in case, like my Dad does with his blog, you check to see who came and from where.

Today I when I perused your blog, I found these teaching videos. Thanks so much for posting them.

Peggy