Sunday, December 23, 2007

Intro

My hope is that my experiences will be useful to others who are trying to make music using Cakewalk’s Sonar Home Studio (SHS). I realize that I have a rather unique set of hardware (see below) and circumstances, but fellow novice music-makers might be able to gather some insights from my writing, or at least see a different way of doing things.

Here’s the equipment I’m using:

  • SHS6XL, which has the basic capabilities needed to make some pretty decent music
  • A basic Dell computer with 512 Megs of RAM
  • Altec-Lansing computer speakers for monitoring
  • E-MU0404 PCI audio interface
  • Roland/Edirol UA-30 USB audio interface
  • Behringer UB802 mixer
  • Boss DI box
  • No-name mic
  • Yamaha PSR 225-GM MIDI keyboard

As you can see, all of my equipment is very low-budget, and it’s been acquired over a period of about a decade, now. In fact, the UA-30 isn’t even supported by Roland/Edirol any more. So I can relate with anybody who doesn’t have the time or budget to set up a full professional studio, and has to make do with what they have.

Once I've described my hardware setup, I'll be delving into some of the functionalities of Sonar Home Studio, and trying to highlight things that were not clear in the documentation. In the meantime, here are some useful sources of information:

  • The help files. Obviously. It's useful to go through the tutorials, although a) they sometimes aren't very clear, and b) they often refer to functions that were included in either Sonar Studio and Sonar Producer editions or in previous versions of SHS, but not in SHS6.
  • The Cakewalk forums. The people in these forums, especially the Home Studio forum, are really helpful, but I'd recommend going through the tutorials first to avoid annoying people.
  • YouTube. There's a Cakewalk channel on YouTube, and some of the functionalities are shown, although again, they ofter refer to functions not included in SHS6.
If you ever have questions or need clarification on something I've written about, please leave a comment or send me an e-mail. I'd love to hear from you!

-Zane

No comments: