Monday, December 24, 2007

Sonar Home Studio Setup

For me, getting the hardware and the 0404's PatchMix DSP Mixer software set up correctly was the hard part, so now we're finally getting to the fun part: Setting up SHS.

First, I'm using SHS6XL, so if you're using a different version, you might see something different than what I describe. Hopefully, though, this will be useful to you.

My MIDI setup was pretty easy. Clicking on Options -> MIDI Devices brings up the MIDI setup dialog. I chose the 0404's MIDI in for the input, which is connected to my Yamaha MIDI keyboard. I could run the MIDI out to my keyboard, as well, but there really wouldn't be any point, since I wouldn't be able to record that to CD.

For the audio setup I chose a sampling rate of 48000, the ASIO driver, and the inputs and outputs. To access these options, click on the tabs in the audio setup dialog (Options -> Audio...). Pictures are worth a thousand words, so:



Notice that to change the Mixing Latency, you need to click the ASIO Panel... button and use the soundcard's driver.





I had changed the Driver Names in the PatchMix DSP Mixer, so that's why it's a little different. To change the Friendly Names, just make sure the box at the bottom is checked and double click on whichever name you want to change.

Next up: Using Buses.

No comments: