Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Apple: Unlimited Music?

I just read an interesting article about Apple negotiating with the major labels to offer unlimited downloads for the iPhone and (possibly) the iPod. This is huge, and as a consumer, it definitely gets my heart racing.

The problem I have with it is that, assuming they sell a device with this option for maybe $50 extra, will this mean even less money goes to the artists and songwriters? According to the article, Apple wants to pay just $20 per device to the record companies - and that's collectively, not individually.

I don't like being pessimistic, but it seems that it's going to be harder and harder to make a living as a musician in the coming years. But am I missing something? Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. The market rights itself.

Musicians--Pray. Feed the hungry. Give to the poor. God will take of you then.

Peggy